Monday, November 2, 2009

The Day I Ate the World.

.
Epcot at DisneyWorld is currently holding it's annual Food and Wine festival. Seeking some surprising culinary adventures, I went to Orlando to meet up with Lynnie from Where in the World is Lynnie's blog.
.
We wandered around for hours admiring the sights and sampling the epicurian delights the world has to offer.
.
By the way Lynnie, post that picture of me looking like a dishevelled mess in that red Fez and it's on like Donkey Kong. Not a threat that would hold up in a court of law, just saying. ;)


Soda's of the world, all the free samples one could want. My favourite was the German coke with orange.

Epcot is spectacular, it's like around the world in 80 days, but instead of 80 days, it's more like 80 minutes...............or not.
.
Replica's of some of my favourite places such as Venice, Paris and Bejing make it so much fun. Where is the Australian exhibit Disney?


The Venetian exhibit is particularly stunning. Venice is one of my very favourite places in the world, how pleasant to be in Mini-Venice for a day.

No 10 hour flight to get to this Palazzo Ducale.
.
San Marco, sans pigeons and the abundant pigeon droppings that seem to cover the Piazza. Perhaps Florida is just too hot for the poor little birds. Should I have wings I would fly away from the heat too.


One would almost be convinced one were in Italy looking at this picture. The crowds attired in t-shirts, shorts and sneakers however, reveal that we are indeed a long way from Italy. A very, very long way.

The replica Parisian streets were enchanting.


Escargot anyone?

I have never been to Morocco but the little Moroccan section was super cute. In this warm climate it was so refreshing to find oneself wandering down cool labyrinthe streets echoing a Moroccan bazaar.


What a Habibi!


Rock the Casbah.




This reminds me of a hippies bedroom.

Beijing is a city I have had the privelledge to visit, the replica gates were exquisite with the bright colours. Chinese food is very tasty, especially when it has loads of MSG in it. Don't try ordering Chinese food with extra MSG though it seems to irk the wait staff off, don't know why, that MSG is good eating. mmmm mmmm mmmm.


The Potstickers from the Chinese kiosk were yum.


Epcot hosted an Aussie kiosk for the festival. Aussie fare is the reason we went to be honest. We were both in raptures over the lamb chops. It's very hard to find lamb here in the USA. I had a tiny but pricey lamington which was no where near as good as Safeway lamingtons, but beggars can't be choosers and I happily paid the hefty price for the tinniest piece of cake ever seen.





Baby Lamington.




Lovely lamb chop.


Aussie menu.

After devouring all we possibly could without an alka-seltzer, or a trip to the Emergency Room, we went to Downtown Disney, it was just so much fun and there were many shops brimming with Disney goodies. I was like a child all excited and wide eyed over the fabulous baubles and trinkets.
.

Wall O' Barbies



Fancy Crystal encrusted figures.

One store was full of Christmas decorations. A delight for anyone like myself with a Magpie's eye who just loves a bit of sparkle and whimsy.







Later we found a candy store. They had these large caramel covered apples, pretzels with all kinds of tasty adornments and my favourite, chocolate covered strawberries. These gargantuan berries put my own home made versions to shame. The berries were definately on steroids and were thickly enrobed in chocolate. Fancy way of eating fruit, in fact with all that strawberry one might go so far as to call it health food....or perhaps not.


How do you like them apples?

Some of the spoils from my Disney adventure, peppermint scented soap with little Mickey Mouse heads and Mouse ear Christmas tree ornament.

.


It is possible that other ornaments were purchased but they shall not be revealed just in case they are being sent to Australia for Christmas. (wink to Ms Patrice).

What a fabulous day at Disney World. It really is a magical place.

The day was splendidly capped off with dinner at a Downtown Disney restaurant called Portobello's. I recommend this to anyone in the area and would give it 4 stars out of five.

The food was good, the service was even better and the bartender was an absolute champ. Not only did he know how to make my signature drink, the Grasshopper, but he went and made a frozen Grasshopper as well and bought over a glass for Lynnie and I. Cheers!

.

4 comments:

  1. I was on Skype with mum reading this together at the same time and I laughed so hard over the title for this blog!

    Glad you enjoyed today, I had so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say hi to Doreen for me!

    Glad I could give you both a laugh. Had such a fabulous time today, thank you so much.

    By the way, I feel really bad for yelling at you that time in class. :( I could take full responsibility or I could blame Joel. I blame Joel.

    I have to drag my aching carcass to bed now. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That lamington looked povo. You ate a little baby lamb...? I am crying, but not for long because I viewed those gargantuan choc covered strawberries.
    I also spied those little baby cake tidbits with lots of creme icing.

    The themes were cute and I love Moroccan homewares. I have that big Moroccan lamp in my entrance (oh matron).

    Yes the shorts n' t-shirt clad FL crowd do remind one that they are certainly NOT in the sophisticated EU. Of course you do have the Eastern Bloc Yuri's who attire in a similar shorts and t-shirt manner so my original assumption is not correct. I must add though, Eastern Bloc Yuri's always combine shorts with fishnet stockings and sky high 80's stilettos. And don't forget the heavy use of make-up, particularly lip liner which is at least three shades darker than the lipstick.

    Now where was I? Off to check out Lynnies blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lamington was so small, I am sure it was Jenny Craig approved.

    WE had a choc dipped strawberry each, they were super delicious too.

    Eastern Block Yuri's are something else entirely. :)

    ReplyDelete