Friday, February 12, 2010

Tales from the country

.

The Colonel and I went gallavanting around town today.




We window shopped at some stores in town and fossicked through an old railway station that has been converted into a mall. We spent some time in an antique store, if by antique you mean old stuff. Perhaps I am being a bit harsh, not a great fan of clutter you see. Old clutter might be very nostalgic to look at, but at home it just becomes another dust collector.


There were some nice pieces of antique furniture but mostly the stock consisted of kitschy bibelots just crying out to be dusted.
.
Personally I prefer more modern furniture. Left to my own devices I would completely furnish the house in the Milanese style. The Colonel however would not approve. Still I plan on slipping in some acrylic chairs one of these days. Love, love, love acrylic furniture.


Hello Gorgeous. I am drooling over this transparent magic.



Some Kitschy finds at the store.





They did have some really pretty things. I purchased a vintage handpainted plate from Austria which was too lovely not to buy.


On the way home we saw some cows doing some gallavanting of their own. We had to stop to take some snaps of the ladies enjoying their afternoon tea.


Arriving home we indulged in some afternoon tea of our own, orange and almond cupcakes I made using dariole moulds. How did they taste? Delicious!!

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I think the acrylic furniture is sterile and lifeless. Antique furniture breathes history and ambiance. That's just my opinion anyway.

    Is that a glaze over the orange cakes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. History and ambience or dust and mould? :)
    I don't know why, but I love that acrylic stuff. They have a black version too which is scrummy.

    The glaze is made with butter, icing sugar obviously but also with added orange juice, it's so yummy that I don't think I will ever make it again because I want to trough the whole lot in one go.

    ReplyDelete