Saturday, April 30, 2011

Musings on a royal wedding

.
The Royal Wedding; I was in my element. I woke up at 2am and stayed up all night to watch it. I feel pretty rough now but it was so worth it. I am toying with the idea of purchasing a Kenneth Jay Lane replica of the engagement ring right now...so gauche I know but I am carried away by it all. I love a good royal wedding and I love my royals.

I kept thinking back to Diana and Charles' wedding all those years ago. It is amazing how fresh and vivid the memory of it is so many years later.





I once saw Charles, Di and baby William drive past during the royal visit to Melbourne. We had to pull over to the side of the road as they passed. Di looked straight at me and waved. I don't care what anyone says against the Monarchy, that something so small and trivial as that can still bring a smile to my lips and a warm feeling demonstrates why I love the Monarchy so much.

I thought Kate's dress was nice but a bit under-whelming. I would have liked something a bit more modern, a bit different but I think that would have been hard. In her position she was right in playing it safe and going for traditional elegance. She is a lovely looking girl and William is so handsome. I did notice the unfortunate bald patch but when you one is the Prince, all manner of physical imperfections will be forgiven. I quite like Hooray Harry and I think he looked splendid in his uniform.

The pageantry and the pomp was magnificent. The cavalry riding alongside the carriages took my breath away. The uniforms were just the kind of thing I expect from the Brits. At one point the view of the carriage from a higher vantage point showed the line of horses travelling alongside, and included their feet. I noticed that they were all moving their feet in a certain way. Not just the normal plodding along, but an almost dance-like step. Amazingly all of the horses in the line were in synch. That must be something they are trained to do. What an effect.

I will keep daydreaming about the fabulousness of the wedding and use it to struggle on through my humdrum existence...



The Colonel is on the couch next to me snoring his head off...Do you think the dashing Prince will ever do that around Kate?

No comments:

Post a Comment