Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Grammar Files: Headlines

.
I have been working on some headlines for articles recently. Not quite the easy task one would imagine.

One of the pitfalls headline writers can fall into is the perilous double entendre.

A copy editor friend provided me with the following list of actual headlines that were published, but that contained some unfortunate double meanings. Personally, I think they are brilliant and that there should be some kind of award for writers who manage to convey the information contained in the story, and provide us with a raucous laugh at the same time.

My apologies to anyone offended by some of these headlines but I assure you, they were actually published!

Student excited father got head job
.
Gators to face Seminoles with Peters out
.
Messiah climaxes in chorus of hallelujahs
.
Governor's Penis busy. (meant to read Pen is)
.
Something went wrong in jet crash, expert says
.
Long island stiffens for Lili's blow
.
Organ festival ends in smashing climax
.
Include your children when baking cookies
.
Iraqi head seeks arms
.
Panda mating fails, veterinarian takes over.

Brilliant stuff I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment