Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Had a little accident; nothing too serious.

.
Today I had intended to regale my readers with more tales from my boring life. A little bit of banter about living in the country, perhaps throw in a recipe and some quaint stories about my bucolic country existence to round it off.

I have some pictures of the strawberries we grew organically and the plump and juicy cherries weighing down the trees.



Even a picture of my latest batch of soap I made from scratch with a few creative touches like a sprinkling of dried lavender on the top.


That is all quite mundane and uninteresting compared to my day's very surprising adventure. Some of you may know I did myself a mischief at my workplace and have acquired a very nasty and painful back problem.
.
The dogs needed walking today but I am in so much pain; I literally cannot get off the bed unassisted right now--imagine the shame of having to wake the Colonel up everytime I need to go for a slash during the night--so I rode my ATV and let the dogs run along beside me. Why should my pampered pooches miss out on their daily perambulations because their Mummy is a pain-riddled old lady?
.
I ventured up an old logging road; long since fallen into disrepair, thinking it was a quite an adventure. The bumps were murder on my back but that was nothing compared to what was to come.
.
I got to the end of the road and attempted a 3-point U-turn when the machine went down over the side of a steep decline. A large pile of wood debris was piled up and I rolled right over it; still on the machine and hanging on for my life. Lucky I didn't get an eye poked out by a branch as they were sticking out all over the place.
.
I tenaciously clung on to the quadrunner as it rolled over twice. I finally came off and it landed on me, then slid down behind me, resting against some trees. I was jammed in between the woodpile and the ATV. My leg was under the machine but luckily I was able to get it out. I had NO MOBILE phone signal down there so I couldn't even call for help.
.
I was cut to shreds, bloodied, bruised and with more scratches on me than a Smith Street transexual hooker after a vicious bar-room brawl. Not a pretty sight.
.
Fortunately no bones were broken, no limbs lost, and I was able to crawl my way back up the hill and walk far enough to get back into cell phone range. I called the Colonel and like a knight in shining armour, he came to my rescue and managed to winch the ATV that was on it's side and wedged between trees and the wood pile out, and ride it home. My hero.
.
Two days ago, I wrote off our brand new ride-on mower. Had I destroyed the ATV I think the Colonel may have killed me and buried me out on this deserted road.
.
I think an Angel was looking over me today.

3 comments:

  1. How can you say you have a boring life?
    My heart flutters just reading about your accident. Please no more wheelies on an ATV.
    I think you have had enough of an adrenaline rush to last you for awhile.
    Thank goodness you weren't very seriously hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Avi, you are always so kind.

    Still, my life is pretty boring, especially when compared to yours. Being in the navy, living in Israel; you really have done so much. My major excitement is going for a little tumble on the ATV...boring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Compared to my life? Yeah, I was in the US Navy, and I was stationed at the Naval Weapons Test Station (NOTS China Lake) near the Mojave desert. I didn't sail around, and see the world. (Besides, I couldn't shine the shoes of Mike, who was a highly decorated senior US Army officer).
    As to me living in Israel, you call sitting at home, in Haifa, in 1991, while Sadam Hussein was firing Scud missiles at us fun? Give me a boring alternative, anytime!
    If you want to do life comparisons, let's begin with the places we have visited. You have visited many places, abroad, (not bad for a "boring" life). And I visited only Egypt. So you have me outnumbered, in places in which you have traveled to.

    ReplyDelete