Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Yeahhhh Boiiiii................se

.
Someone pinch me please, I need to wake up from the delusional dream I am having. On second thoughts, keep your hands to yourself, I don't want to wake up.

Sitting in a lovely hotel room in the state Capital, Boise, this Countess is having a lovely time. Travelling here was an ordeal, in fact I really didn't want to come. Having to attend a mandatory conference for my new job was not my idea of a good time.



How wrong I was.

Despite the long--seemingly endless drive--I did enjoy the beautiful landscapes I saw on the way. Hell's Canyon does not sound very appealing does it, but it was in fact, a beautiful place.


Rural Idaho is not all flat as I had thought. I drove through some boring flat parts, ho hum, but most of my drive was through mountains with streams running alongside. Nothing quite so beautiful as my end of the state, but pretty gorgeous nonetheless.



The conference, against all the odds--it was a meeting of a bunch of teachers remember--was fantastic. I can say without reservation that I have never enjoyed a meeting more.


No one stood up reading word for word from a PowerPoint presentation, which is always done whenever two or more teachers gather together didn't you know. No one stood up and pontificated, no one sung their own praises or blathered on about their wonderful teaching practice.

Instead, a group of talented, interesting, humble and entertaining people regaled us all, and managed to make a long day of solid sessions delightful and informative. Could these people really be teachers or aliens disguised as teachers trying to fool us all?

What's more, I did not see a single pair of tracksuit pants, not even a solitary wearer of what Americans call "sweatpants." Truly, I am dreaming.

I met some delightful people today. We went 10-pin bowling afterwards and I dazzled them all with my mediocrity. Never has a person so consistently guttered a bowling ball before. I assured them that I teach better than I bowl--they can only hope that is true.

Having been interviewed for my job online, I had not met the staff at my new school until today. What a ripper bunch of people they are.




To top off a good day, I won an Amazon Kindle in a raffle....Lucky! I have a Barnes and Noble Nook already, but so many of the books I want are available on Kindle but not Nook, or are much cheaper on Kindle. Now I have both--Greedy!



Tomorrow I embark on another long drive, but go home with lots of happy memories, some new friends, fresh enthusiasm for teaching, oh and an Amazon Kindle!

Finger's crossed I get home tomorrow without running into any angry yokels in the backwoods towns!

No comments:

Post a Comment