Friday, April 10, 2009

It's time to have some fun, if by fun you mean beating up a hobo.

The Colonel is a bit of an action man and has a whole stable of highly unsuitable cars for a woman of refinement like me ;) We looked into buying a new car recently, but have put it off for a bit as we wait to see what the economic downturn brings. I have 'the sky is falling' mentality and think every spare cent should be put towards gold, (in case the currency becomes worthless) preferably gold earrings.

In the meantime I drive around in a Jeep. Not just any Jeep, a Wrangler. A boy's car, no, a bushman's car, Steve Irwin's dream car. That thing is a rough rider. No luxury whatsover. Every bump in the road is like an adventure ride at Disney world.

To Make things worse, The Colonel has it tricked it out with all these blokey accoutrements, like racks and big petrol cans. I have been called Crocodile Dundee by some around these parts. I often get asked, 'Are you going camping?" My idea of camping is a 4 star hotel instead of a 5 star. The indignity of it all!

I once had to 4 wheel drive it, which was very scary but did give me a little frisson of pleasure! I had taken a wrong turn and ended up on an old dirt road, filled with pot holes, unused since the last hurricane. The most recent imbecile to take that wrong turn had to be towed out by a local farmer's tractor. Lucky the Jeep was up to the job. On that same day I tried to buy a Great Dane, which was too big to climb up into the car, (only a 2 door model), too big to sit on the front seat, and it promptly vomited all over the back seat upon getting there. To this day I swear it still smells of Great Dane vomit despite two professional cleanings and a can of air freshner.

The other cars in the Stable include a Vintage
Volvo called Sven, and an old army surplus jeep.
You won't see me riding around in town in that thing, although the winch on the front and shovel attached to the side could come in handy. I can't imagine pulling up to my hair appointment at the Salon at Saks 5th Ave in that. Might shock all the rich old dears into apoplexy.

On the other hand, it might be nice to arrive in the beast and see all their snooty reactions. I could loudly pull up, disembark and yell, Aussie Aussie Aussie....followed up by my own chanting of OI OI OI.






2 comments:

  1. Ha ha hee hee hee, I love your humour! Especially the idea of rocking up to a hair appointment like a yobbo. That'd turn some blue rinsed heads now, wouldn't it!! Nice to see what your life is like on the other side of the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunatly, I try to act like a Countess, but am still a yobo at heart.

    ReplyDelete