Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Things I like about America - Home shopping.

.
There are 3 major home shopping networks here in the US, all three of them are wonderful. There is just something magical about shopping via the telly or the Internet. One can plonk one's arse on the couch and it's just like being out doing actual shopping all day, minus the stinky sweaty hordes, rude sales people and having to carry those heavy bags. Not to mention the sheer amount of choice that one just does not find going from store to store.

Thanks to the joys of home shopping I feel like a small child in a candy store, only it's so much better than that, more like a kid let loose in Willy Wonker's Chocolate Factory, minus those scary ooompa loompa's. Actually going to the mall one can see plenty of those, less fashionably dressed though. Home shopping means I don't have to go out and see the rabble in their t-shirt, shorts and thong finery. Another reason I like it so much.

I have to do all my coveting and shopping surreptitiously. The Colonel will chastise me if I shop too much. Still, like a juggernaut, I can't be stopped, I find myself watching the programs more and more or getting online and perusing the catalogue, to 'window shop'.
.
On the weekend, one of the networks had a 5 value pay day. Anything purchased on that day came with the option of paying for it in 5 smaller payments over 5 months, interest free. Unbelievable. I bought a cheesecake, my first ever food purchase online. I am having a guest over for dinner this week, that's my excuse, really I just was salivating at the sight of the sumptuous desert. Made by Junior's bakery in Brooklyn, it has chocolate mousse on top, cheesecake on the bottom and is coated in a chocolate ganache, it looks so deliciously decadent.

.

I love Jewelery, always have, always will. Like a magpie I am drawn to bright, sparkly objects and I love to line my nest with glittering baubles. Brummagem or real it's no difference to me as long as it shines.

On Sunday a new collection debuted on HSN. While the Colonel was outside working on his truck I was indulging in a fabulous jewelery show. Rarities by Carol Bodie, it was one sumptuous piece after another. A very popular show, the pieces were disappearing before a full presentation could be done on them. Some stunning gemstone earrings were shown briefly as an item that would be featured later on, but that never happened as they sold out immediately. It was like a shark attack, a veritable feeding frenzy. The pace blew me away. My head was spinning as each glorious piece was aired, only to see them disappear in rapid succession.

Ms Brodie spent many years working at Harry Winston. She told some colourful stories of working with all kinds of creative people, such as a jeweler to the Maharaja's of India. How very exotic. I was less interested in the stories about all the celebrities and their red carpet jewels and her work for films. True, the baubles are stunning, but I am so over the whole celebrity circus. What moron goes out and has to have a certain stone or look just because some whiney, mostly untalented celeb, has it? Sorry if I offended anyone but quite frankly, I am sure no one like that reads my blog.

Brodie told the story of how Jennifer Lopez's pink diamond engagement ring was made, how she scoured the world for the perfect stone. Pink diamond's are interesting but I really don't get excited that it was for some mediocre celebrity. What really piqued my interest was the story about the most delicious rings in the program. Brodie relayed the tale of a visit to a high end Jeweler in Capri she visited while on honeymoon. A gorgeous citrine ring was purchased there and she has copied the original for her collection. That's what I find enticing, the gorgeousness of Capri, knowing the ring was originally inspired by the idyllic Italian coast, not by some celebrity slags and their 'bling-bling'. Cringe. The ring I craved is the massive citrine and onyx featured in the picture. There is something about yellow stones and gold that I find enthralling. It sold out so fast, I was still in a mesmerised trance at it's loveliness when I saw the 'sold out' sign appear. Disappointment indeed. I was quite distraught at missing out, but worse than that alone, I could picture all the frumpy house fraus of America who had beaten me to it, wearing that darling 5th Ave ring around, complete with the tawdry or just plain matronly ensembles most people seem to attire themselves in over here.

I did take some consolation in doing a bit of an Internet search for Carol Brodie and seeing that posts had been made about her highly anticipated collection on blogs, thus ensuring a viewing audience of connoisseurs, not just connoi-bleuhs Apparently she is quite a celebrity herself and her Rarities collection has been awaited with some degree of excitement.

America may not have Vegemite or Red Rooster, but it does have some really great Home Shopping, and that makes Chichi a happy little Vegemite.



10 comments:

  1. Oh darling I hear you loud and clear! But, I'm a sucker for succulent body creams, antiques and oh my lord ..... CHEESECAKE?

    I agree, why rub shoulders with the sweaty and smelly when you can browse in the cool comfort of your own home.

    I adore jewelry, really, who doesn't? But I especially have a weakness for the antique or vintage. As you mentioned, its the story behind the piece that intrigues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is very rude of you to refer to FH as being scary. If only she hadn't escaped from Willy and his Wonker.

    Toss up between the baubles and the cake.....hmmmm the baubles. I am a sucker for anything that glitters. Yes I am like a magpie...ohhhh pretty, pretty, shiny, shiny. Argh the voices in my head wrote that.

    I love vintage jewelry and old clothes because there is history. I have just had an idea for a post but dang my camera wont upload. Life is a total bitch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having a freind over for dinner tomorrow night and am planning to pass the deluxe cheesecake off as one of my own creations. Does that make me a bad person? I'm more excited about that arriving than jewelery, that's slightly disturbing.

    Vintage jewelery is lovely, I love anything from the Art Deco period. I have some reproductions, the real thing is just too $$$$, but it's fabulous.

    My camera is rooted, I guess I should take it somewhere and see if it can be fixed, I hate not being able to put pictures up, just means I will have to keep posting graphs instead....haha.

    AT least FH has ditched her green and white oompa loompa uniform, it was really doing nothing for her. What do you guys think of that Lola and Bailey necklace she was raving on about and finally got?

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the subject of FH, I stumbled upon a fashion blog of a larger sized lady today. http://saksinthecity.blogspot.com/ I saw many blogs from bigger girls, many much larger than FH, yet they manage to look fabulous and stylish and I have only praise for them. Yes we are harsh critics of FH but really, some people are begging for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Lola and Bailey necklace looks like a modernized Art Deco piece. It really looks like some poor building is missing a piece from its facade. Yes and FH has it around her neck. I didn't catch the green and white uniform but it sounds like it was a treat for sore eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I checked out saksinthecity. She looked great in most of the photos and her style is very becoming ..but why the FH high waisted belt? I think that wearing ANY sort of belt highlights areas which really don't need to be highlighted. Also she is wearing a sleeveless top in one photo and that is a personal hate. I think that the only people who look good with no sleeves are infants. Just a personal issue I have with armless clothes...ppffft

    ReplyDelete
  7. The belt thing is astonishing. I don't get it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't get on to Facebook coz my internet connection is that slow...we haven't paid bill thanks to Exxon...grrr

    Anyway,

    I just wanted to write:

    Michael Jackson died from Demerol and Demerol is the US equivalent of Pethidine. What a happy camper he would have been!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that is a good way to go. Ahh Pethidine, you sweet elixir of joy...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, I'm kinda glad there are no HSNs here- I'm bad enough with the internet! Sort of good that I don't have large amounts of dough, cos I'd buy stuff constantly!! I just love that ring! I've been on etsy lately. There's an Etsy shop called ForTheCross Jewellery- check it out, it's got some darling pieces!

    I'm enjoying your blog, the US is a bit of a strange land for us Aussies, isn't it! Especially where realtors are concerned!! Spewing about the Idaho ranch. Luvs ya! x x. J.

    ReplyDelete