Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Limoncello

.
Last week I had Limoncello coloured hair, sad but true. This week my locks might be a more pleasing shade of blonde but the previous bleaching seems to have seeped through my scalp, permeated my brain and left the idea of luscious limoncello in the gray matter. I have long thought that the peroxide was wrecking some kind of havoc on my already stressed brain cells. Surely I can't have too many healthy cell's left to play with. ADHD and it's assorted medications, some of them for ADHD's dreadful twin, Insomnia, must have wrought some heavy carnage in the Chichi cranium. Mostly I blame peroxide for my amazing stupidity, but could my citrus infused cravings be a rare but altogether pleasant side affect?

Tonight I am cooking Limoncello chicken, and today I made Limoncello and Blueberry cake.

Limoncello and blueberry cake

Cook Time: 35 minutes
Ingredients:

3 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
1-1/2 cups butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon limoncello, divided
2 tablespoons lemon zest, divided
2 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9x13 cake pan. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside. Place blueberries in a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of dry ingredients. Toss gently and set aside. (This is done so blueberries don't sink to bottom of cake.)

In an another bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add 1 tablespoon limoncello. Add the dry mixture and combine completely. Fold in 1 tablespoon zest and blueberries. Carefully add batter to prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool pan on rack for 15 minutes before adding glaze. Cool completely before serving.

Glaze: With a wire whisk, stir together powdered sugar, 1/4 cup limoncello and 1 tablespoon lemon zest. Drizzle over cake, then spread for even consistancy.


What is it about that sweet Italian Liquor that makes one keep coming back for more? Limoncello hair, bad, Limoncello cake, good. Fact.
.

4 comments:

  1. My demon is Kahlua so it's Kahlua chops, mashed potato, rice, cake anything.
    Give me KAHLUA...roar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kahlua mash and rice??? That sounds great. Give me some recipes....please.

    I don't drink alcohol on it's own, but when it's in food, It takes it to a whole new level of gastronomic pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonight it was Limoncello Fettucine, the insanity can't be stopped. At this rate, I will have to join AA.
    Share some of those Kahlua recipes please Ms P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A liberal dousing of all edible substances with Kahlua.

    ReplyDelete