Sunday, October 25, 2009

Only in America

.
Today we drove down Bayshore Avenue, Tampa's fanciest street. On one side there is the beautiful bay, on the other gorgeous mansions. I love Bayshore, especially on a sunny but not too humid day like this one was.





We went to Channelside where we ate at Brennigans which was really terrible. We did however have a window table from where we could see the Cruise ship. Every Sunday the big ships depart and head to the Carribean. It's a spectacular sight to watch these enormous things gracefully take off and head out to sea.


Only in America can one order a deep fried sandwich. The Colonel ordered a club which had chicken, ham and cheese. It was then battered, deep fried and served with a dusting of icing sugar. Raspberry jam was the dipping sauce. What glorious decadence.


I had about 4 bites. The first 3 I thought I was in a very strange happy place. By the fourth I felt as though I were going to keel over and die. The Monte Cristo sandwich went from a festival for the mouth to a greasy nightmare in no time at all.

3 comments:

  1. I want that deep fried club o' love complete with jam dippin sauce. I love the combination of sweet and savoury. Gosh I gagging for one. Was that little delight battered before being scrumptiously deep fried? Oh matron I am salivating. Note to self: scrap diet on weekend and go a deep fryin. I made a gruyere and ham sandwich and loaded it with dijon mustard. I buttered it heavily (butter not that crappy margarine) before placing it under the grill. it was heavenly! I should have whacked it in the deep fryer though.

    Remember those battered and deep fried Mars Bars?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duh! You already wrote that it was battered. Sorry I was overcome with lust for that sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often remember with longing the deep fried Mars Bars. (licking lips).

    The Monte Cristo, as you pointed out, was very much battered. They even sprinkled icing sugar on it after it was deep fried.

    You know, it made me feel sick after a few bites, but now, I can't stop thinking about it.

    OH America, land of deep fried goodness. I LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete