Thursday, December 17, 2009

I'm under 15 feet of pure white snow.

.
Day 3 in the new country house, without water for 3 days and now the power has gone down. What a freaking surprising adventure this is turning out to be.


Birdhouse and our Christmas Tree

Things have not gone to plan as yet. We drove up from Denver via Montana, an ardous 11 hour trip, the 8th day in a row of such trips. Imagine how wretched I was feeling at this point.
.

Ice hanging off our roof with a view to the Pump room with solar panels.

As our place is not the easiest to find we arranged to meet the former owner at a place we both know and he was to show us up the mountain. Unbelievably it was dark by 4 pm so we had to drive in the black of night with snow falling and on the roads. Welcome to the Winter Wonderland Countess. (grimace)

Ice, ice baby.

The drive up was steep and on unpaved road and as far as I am concerned, it was treacherous. That was enough to set me into a near fit of hysterics. I have seen it in the daytime and it’s much worse. One can see the mountains and hills and the drop on one side. I have been told not to worry, if one were to go off the side the trees will eventually brake my fall. Charming indeed.

Perhaps one day I will be appreciate to the view and the surrounds, perhaps one day I will by able to drive up there on my own. Crikey.


We arrived at the new abode only to find out from the owner that the pipes had frozen and burst and there was NO WATER. Indeed. I wanted to go right back to town into a hotel, but there was to be none of that. We have a water well on the property and with some borrowed buckets from the former owner we were to make do.


The Colonel on the tractor off to plow the road. We have to plow 2 miles of road, it's a long way from the concrete jungle. The day will come when I will have to get into that hunk of metal and do the plowing. (panic attack)

Not only did we sorely need to shower, clothes are in dire need of a wash.

On day two the former owner arrived and worked on the problem, thinking it was fixed he left only for me to discover that in a short time it stopped working but not before flooding the master bedroom.


As we don’t have our furniture yet, our mattress has been plonked down on the floor in there. It was soaked. Now we have no water, no dry place to sleep and our room smells of wet carpet.

It’s day three and the power has gone out, we have no idea why, we have a solar panel system, off the grid and all that and it’s all rather complicated for me to deal with. The plumber is here working on the water problem and I just heard him say, ‘oh shit’. Not a good sign readers. I believe he will be needed to get into a wall to fix the myriad of plumbing problems that seem to be popping up. Joy oh joy.


View from one of our rooms.

Moving to the country, I'm going to eat me a lot of peaches. The mountain change was the Colonel's dream and I am just along for the ride. So far I am not having the best time. The only reason I have not topped myself is because I can’t decide, a bullet in the head or an overdose on pills. Sucking a revolver is not a good option as it’s far to cold to be putting any metal in my mouth, nuff said.


This mountian change is not quite so wonderful at the moment. Perhaps when I finally have running water, power and my furniture arrives giving me a chair to sit on, TV and Internet I will feel much happier about the move.


Title from the song by Nick Cave

All pictures apart from the picture of the Idaho sign taken on our property.
.

5 comments:

  1. Yeehaw!!! Are you shootin your gun in the air? You could join your hillbilly (f**k you are a hillbilly now) kin folk (sans being a sex offender) and make up some moonshine......Yeehaw!

    The views look spectacular and the colonel looks like a pig in shit on that there tractor. It reminds me of a Simpsons epidode of Mr Plow.

    I hope your mattress doesn't rot. What the hell was the former owner doing??? Don't you have a furnace. Michaels grandparents had a furnace room in the basement and the furnace would blow hot air around the water pipes to prevent them from freezing the water. Do you have a similar set up?

    Your neighbour lives on a bus? Yeehaw get them griddles cookin and then go a shootin bears. I heard that some folk like the taste of grizzley whilst other say the meat is tough and wild tasting. I'll let you be the judge!!!lol. You could have gone to Texas and got yourself some Armidillo. Tasty!

    Learn to play the banjo will you. Then you can play the soundtrack to Deliverance!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO makes Tampa seem like a luxury now, hey? LOL. The photos look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms P we don't have a basement, need to get one in though. Root cellar/bunker ahaha.

    Oh the country living is just not me right now. Perhaps I will grow into it, but I ain't no Pioneer woman as I keep telling the Colonel when he expects me to chop wood and do all that outdoors stuff.

    Pass me my banjo, I need to do some duelling...yehaaaaa.

    Tampa is lovely, but it's too hot for me, I could get used to these moutain views though.

    I heard that if we shot a bear to cut out the gall bladder, we can sell it for 250 bucks. What the?????? If I shoot a bear it will be because my life is in imminent danger from aforementioned bear. I certainly won't be cutting anything out of it, much less selling it for some Chinese hocus pocus potions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is bear gall bladder worth so much? Is it fancy eating in those parts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think bear gall bladder gets sent to China for some kind of medicine. I hate the way the use so many animal products in the medicine, causing illegal hunting of many endangered species. Meanwhile all the hippies expound the virtues of Chinese medicine. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete