Wednesday, December 30, 2009

It's a wonderful life, if by life you mean dosage.

.
Another snowy day up on the mountain. Time to do some baking! I've not been doing much cooking at all since the move but have been craving my jam thumbprint biscuits for some time.



Years ago I found a Donna Hay recipe for basic cookies with a dab of jam in the middle. Simple to bake, but delicious. The recipe was cut out and added to my little recipe book, a hodge podge of all kinds of recipes I find in newspapers and magazines.



Some were made with coconut butter carted up here all the way from Florida, and raspberry jam for the others.



The days are so long here. By 4 pm it's dark and with our alternative energy house, we can't be blaring all the lights and power so we tend to settle down in front of the telly and the wood stove with a cup of tea for the evening. Thumbprint cookies are the perfect accompaniment. Just hoping I can refrain from scoffing them all tonight.

Donna Hay Thumbprint Cookies


180 g butter
1 cup castor sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1 1/4 cups plain flour
jam

Preheat oven to 180 C. Place butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy. Add the egg and beat well. Stir through the flours and mix to a dough.

Roll 2 tablespoons of mixture into a ball. Flatten onto a baking tray lined with non-stick paper. Press your thumb into the middle of the dough to make a hole. Fill the hold with jam or a chocolate sweet.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or untl golden, then allow to cool on wire racks. Makes 15.
.

7 comments:

  1. Have just salivated onto the keyboard and short circuited the Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what that is like, I tend to slobber all over the place when I read about your cafe cakes. Gaining weight now just thinking about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe I took this long to read your blog. It's like having you back at BSC at morning recess time.

    Equally stunned that you have headed for the mountains. I live in the country too these days but there's no comparison. I have to be careful not to hit kangaroos as I head towards the big smoke - 45 minutes away - but that's about it.

    Thought you'd like to see a picture of Pickles, now fully recovered from his traumatic flight from HK. He doesn't show his wrinkles, unlike some of us. Facial hair can be a blessing I guess. Never thought about that before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle, how wonderful to hear from you and to see a picture of Pickles. What a little traveller he is.

    I remember you bought a house in the country, but I had already moved over here before you got back from HK so I missed out on visiting, hopefully one day I can come see you and Mr Pickles.

    Some cute kangaroos around here would be nice instead of those gigantic Moose that keep running across the road in front of the car.

    So good to hear from you Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well those are just downright sexy and should be rated XXX. I have developed a taste for rich butter cookies. I made Scottish shortbread on Xmas eve and scoffed it all myself. Ok I shared a tad with santa because I wanted to score big on Xmas.To no avail of course pfft.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on those cookies Ms P.

    I finally got my act together and sent your Christmas present, hope you like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww thank you Cuntess! You still haven't emailed me your new address.

    ReplyDelete