Sunday, April 25, 2010

Anzac Day 2010

.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye,
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know,
The hell where youth and laughter go. -Siegfried Sassoon.

Last year I attended the Anzac Day dawn service at McDill Air Force Base. It was a solemn and moving occasion and one which filled me with pride as a multi-national group remembered the fallen Diggers, heroes who bravely fought for our freedom.


General David Petraeus stood 0nly feet away from me at the service. Australian soldiers mingled with others from all over the world. Turkish soldiers were present and one Turkish officer quoted Ataturk who famously said,
.
"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives; You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country.Therefore rest in peace.There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours.You, the mothers,who sent their sons from far away countries, wipe away your tears;your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."

Ataturk, 1934
.
I was particularly captivated by an Admiral from Norway. Seriously, he looked like the salty sea dog from the Birdseye Fish Fingers ads. White beard, all neatly trimmed, perfect white uniform. I could not have imagined an Admiral who looked more nautical.

After the service we had mingled together at breakfast, held at the Officers Club. I sat next to a U.S Marine who was telling me how he had sailed on a ship, into Anzac Cove, on the morning of April 25, one particular year. What an experience, one that I would so much like to have for myself one day.



Our small town does not have a dawn service, or a parade of proud diggers, so It was up to me and the Colonel to remember them in our own small way.

I had to work today, horror of horrors, and what a shocking day it was. It seems that on weekends we are always terrifically busy and there are never enough staff. I am forced to run myself ragged around the store, but that, dear reader, is a topic for a whole other blog post. Look for it under labels that include the word 'slavery' among other choice words. *smile*

A highlight of the day was when a couple came in and identified my accent. Most often people think I am English, so it was nice to be recognised as an Aussie. They had spent some time Downunder and even wished me a happy Anzac Day. Bless. What nice people.

I cooked up some lamb chops and smothered them in tomato sauce, (ketchup), then finished my Anzac Day meal with a very lovely piece of Chocolate Ripple Cake. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi Oi Oi!

Thank you to all the Aussie service members, past and present.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Ode to remembrance-Laurence Binyon
.

5 comments:

  1. I always get teary on Anzac day - always. Thank you for this beautiful post and thank you for doing your small bit in remembering the fallen. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. But baby sheep?
    I'm not to fond of ANZAC day and it's not due to some radical feminist movement either. Well I was in the army reserves once! My issue with it really isn't an issue as such. I just don't like death and people suffering. A lot of the boys who served in the army at that time were just boys. They were enticed into the army by propaganda. They were promised adventure and the excitement of a lifetime. They ended up mercilessly slain. I think that it is good that people remember ANZAC day, I just keep it low key. WW1 was a war of attrition and it was savage. I feel empathy for those who fell but I just wish it had of been the 'war to end all wars!' Sadly, WW2 was just an extension of WW1, with a lot of help from Versailles! I could go on and on because the politics of WW1 and WW2 is what I majored in. I'm old, I'm boring and I live in the past!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mares.

    Ms P, it was a terrible war, that is why we must remember them, hence theSiegfried Sasson poem. It's a reminer to all the people cheering, all the people supporting war, that it's those young men and women who are being sent to the slaughterhouse. We must remember them.

    I feel such pride on Anzac day because I think of the courage and bravery shown by those diggers. The Officers sent them to certain slaughter yet they ploughed on and the Anzac spirit was born. That is what I find truly amazing.

    It's not the soldiers who cause the wars, they are just the sheep, following orders so they are the ones I celebrate. The politicians who lead people into war, well that is a different story.

    WW1 and WW2 both started in Serbia! Oh those crazy Serbs.

    Hitler should have been stopped before getting to the position of strength he attained. Thanks Neville Chamberlain you burke.

    Have we learnt nothing from history? The world stands back while Iran rattles it's nuclear tipped sabre. Diplomacy lead to WW1 AND WW2, looks like we will have WW3 as soon as Iran is a full nuclear power. The politicians will talk and make Neville Chamberlain look like a strong leader, until we are all embroiled in the next great war. Sorry to bore you here but once a history teacher, always a history teacher. We learn about the future from studying the past.

    It was a Roman General who once said, "To seek peace, you must prepare for war". Personally, I agree with him and not Neville Chamberlain and his imitators.

    Hey is this the response to a blog post or am I back at University writing history papers???

    Sorry for the blowviating, I must go have a bex and a lie down now.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never see Anzac Day as a celebration of war. It means a lot to me because it's my opportunity as an individual to thank those guys for putting themselves out there. And those who weren't killed suffered incredible psychological damage.

    I applaud the magnitude of the individual sacrifices made by each of these men, and sometimes women also.

    I think to qualify as a politician, a certain level of psychological aberration is necessary. After that hordes of truly decent people are duped into legitimating the scenarios that follow. As you said, Countess, this is an entirely different story.

    To me Anzac Day has nothing to do with this scum. It is a day for respecting the decent people who thought that they were doing the right thing and put their lives on the line for it.

    (I'm so cynical. No wonder I've opted out and headed for the hills with the cat.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too right Michelle! As a fellow person who has headed to the hills with a cat, well a few of them, I heartily agree with your sentiments and share your cynicism!

    ReplyDelete