Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Crikey!

.
Oh my word! I have finally discovered why Americans don't eat lamb. It costs a fortune over here, seriously.

I have been craving that delectable meat, so beloved Downunder, and recently went foraging around the local stores looking for some loin chops. I managed to track down 4 tiny chops for the magnificent sum of $14.55 USD. I'm not talking about a crown roast or even a rack of lamb, oh no. Some measly scraps, mostly bone and fat with a little bit of meat on them cost that much!


Lamb was pricey in Tampa but it was not even close to this. I could give up lamb and start eating pork but quite frankly, that would be un-Australian.
.
Despite the 'Get some pork on your fork' slogan, which is very catchy I might add, I just cannot bring myself to eat Pork. It's a shame because here it is cheap and plentiful while my lamb chops, obviously are not.

I am saving my small chops for April 25th, Anzac Day. I will fire up the BBQ and indulge in lamb, smothered generously in tomato sauce, (weirdly, people here find that disgusting), while toasting my heroes, the Anzacs.

On a brighter note, we chanced upon some Kraft Cheddar Cheese Spread at the grocery store. What a find! I've already indulged in dry biscuits with the good stuff lavishly heaped on top. It's amazing how certain foods bring such happy memories of home.

I am awaiting an order placed with an Australian grocery store online for Vegemite. I have been out of it for some time but have reached the point where I can go on without Vegemite no longer. The prices these Aussie groceries charge is downright highway robbery, but what is an Aussie Countess who is such a long way from home to do?

While ordering the marvellous black stuff, I had to throw in some Cadbury blocks, custard powder and Choc Ripple biscuits. I can't wait to make a Chocolate Ripple Cake!
.
To digress from food adventures for just a moment, I am happy that the roads here have dried out, which means no more mud! I love driving up and down the mountain, taking in the amazing views and pretending to be Michael Shumacher tearing up the hill.


The road is so nice now that we have been able to get the Vintage Volvo out of the garage and gad about town. In May there will be a vintage car parade and we are thinking of joining in and entering the Volvo.
.

2 comments:

  1. Forget about the Americans finding lamb chops drenched in sauce revolting, I find it revolting.
    I can't eat a baby sheep for the life of me and tomato sauce, don't get me started on that vile product. Tomato sauce is an invention of the devil. I am going to go throw up now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I hate seeing lambs too cute, but so yummy. Tomato sauce yum....you got problems. :)

    ReplyDelete