Friday, May 28, 2010

Spring Blooms

.
And Spring arose on the garden fair,
Like the Spirit of Love felt everywhere;
And each flower and herb on Earth's dark breast,
Rose from the dreams of its wintry rest.

Shelley, "The Sensitive Plant"


Spring is magnificent here in Northern Idaho. I find myself pottering around in the garden constantly. So many important tasks are delayed or completely neglected as I just can't seem to drag myself into the house with so much going on outside.
.
Sitting on the porch and watching birds has become a mesmerizing pastime. I am not quite sure what has happened to me; it's quite scary really. How did this city person - complete with concrete running through my veins - become so enamoured of the outdoors? I have been taking valium to treat my back injury, perhaps herein lies the answer - mother's little helpers are certainly helping me in oh so many wonderful ways.


The Hummingbirds buzz around constantly, making their distinctive little chirping sounds and being adorably cute. Bumble-bees fly around, delighting in the flowers. I had never seen one of them until I moved here. They are like our humble bees in Australia - on steroids. Giant, fluffy and resplendent in their black and yellow finery.
.

The flowers are just starting to bloom up here; it's just brilliant.


A little Madness in the spring Is wholesome even for the King." -- Emily Dickinson
.

2 comments:

  1. Nice Columbines. Now I want a photo of a bumble bee and I want a 'proper' photo of a hummingbird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was telling the Colonel how I wish you and I lived next door to each other, what fun that would be. He said you should move over here. We can clear some of the land and you could put a house on it. Imagine that. Then you could see the bees and the Hummingbirds for yourself.

    I know you wouldn't leave Australia, but maybe we can put a little Granny flat kind of thing up so you can come for an extended visit.

    ReplyDelete