Saturday, September 19, 2009

High Tea Hijinks.



"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."


Henry James

My lovely neighbour came over to visit me today and to enjoy High Tea. She is such a delightful lady and is amazingly spritely for someone 88 years old. Not able to get out and about as much as she would like, I decided to create a high tea for her at my home.



The Colonel was off to a gun show, (wonder if he will come home with a Micro Uzi for me), so it was up to us fancy ladies to have a fancy afternoon tea.
.


I generally prefer to take my tea in sumptuous surrounds and with someone else doing all the hard work, but I did my best to create my own, and might I say, none to shabby high tea.



There were cucumber sandwiches cut into the shape of a map of Australia which I thought were particularly delicious, what a lot of whimsy! I did cheat and buy the petits fours though. I simply am not able to make such delicious little fancy cakes. Way too fiddly for someone so ADHD like me.


Hello Aussie! Cucumber sandwich shaped like Australia. Crikey.

"Is there no Latin word for Tea? Upon my soul, if I had known that I would have let the vulgar stuff alone."


Hilaire Belloc

6 comments:

  1. I am gagging for a petite four. Did you bake the scones? You can shove the cucumber sandwiches where the sun doesn't shine. They are not laden with deadly fats and excessive amounts of sugar. Pfft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scones were lovely, I used Carla's recipe. I love the cucumber sandwiches though. Oh I put some cream cheese on the bread, does that make them deadly enough now?

    I also made Tuna ones using cream cheese, remmeber my tuna dip you always liked? I cut them in round shapes. Very creative, but you know I hardly ate any of it. still put on several pounds though, what the heck is up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll go the tuna one's any day. I often make that tuna dip and stuff pitas with it. It even tastes scrummy slathered all over bagels.

    Do you have Carla's recipe because I lost mine?

    How the hell can you put on several pounds from not eating and being on adderal? Is your thyroid slowing down? Maybe your bipolar thyroid is the menace here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can an 88 year old walk around with ease? Or is she like mum was?

    I suppose people who have lead active lives stay active longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms P, she is surprisingly agile for her age, but does have to be very careful when going up or down steps.

    I don't know what happened with those pounds, they have gone away by now but still it was a bit of a fright seeing their appearance on the bathroom scales. I might add that their going away was the direct result of extra gym sessions and a starvation diet that would make an annorexic feel underfed.

    I could barely sniff at those high tea delectables without the pounds sneaking on. My thyroid is a little more hyper than usual so it's not that, if anything that mongrel should be helping me out. Oh well, off I trod to the gym every darn day, sweating like a bugger all the while.

    Thank you sharkbite!

    ReplyDelete