Sunday, September 27, 2009

How do you solve a problem like Maria?

.

"With the most primitive means the artist creates something which the most ingenious and efficient technology will never be able to create."



Kasimir Malevich


My apologies for such a hackneyed title for this post, but I really couldn't resist. Once that title came into my tiny ADHD brain it just refused to push off and leave room for a much more creative and better one.

The question remains, how does one solve a problem like Maria?. Simple, turn to Art darlings.




Some years ago now I met a fellow kindred spirit in one of the dark satanic mills, affectionately known as 'high schools'.
.
It was clear that the shackles of teaching were weighing heavily on her, on all of us, but Maria had such a spark of life. She refused to stay shuttered up and fettered by rules and regulations, by administration and bureacracy, by petty little people who thrive and fester in the school enviroment. Oh no, I am not talking about the students dear reader, in fact they are the brightest part of any teaching adventure. Personally, my students have been such a source of delight and joy for me, sometimes heartache, worry and put quite simply, massive pains in the posterier, but on the whole they are wonderful and are what gave me the courage to get out of bed every morning. No, I don't complain about the students, but all the so called 'grown ups' in the place.



The School environment can be a very destructive one, some get out, others are churned up and spat out, while some continue on, burned out and numb, going through the motions. Maria Vella is one who escaped and went not into business, into private industry like so many do, she decided to become a professional artist. How risk-takingly brave and wonderful.

Endowed with creativity and talent she ventured off into the world pursuing her dreams. One has to admire her pluckiness, but at the same time, quiver in fear at the unknown.


"Without art, the crudeness of reality would make the world unbearable."

George Bernard Shaw

Happily, Maria is thriving in her chosen field. One is so proud to have a talented and creatively brilliant friend. It makes me feel just a little more clever and special to be acquainted with her.



She has her own website http://mariavella.webs.com/ which showcases her fabulous pieces. I love her art, it's bright, colourful, witty and breathtaking.

"A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament."

Oscar Wilde

One cannot talk about Maria Vella without relaying a funny little incident that always makes one chuckle. At some grand event, Maria found herself standing next to Austrailan Actor Geoffrey Rush. Both were admiring a painting.

Maria, no surprises here, had a glass of wine in her hand and had been imbibing perhaps a little too much of the nectar beforehand. When Rush made a comment about the painting, she mistook his words and thought he was complimenting her on her dress. Poor Maria was most affronted by this and loudly told him to back off, that she had a boyfriend. As a bewildered Rush walked off into the crowd, she realised her mistake and then began to run behind him, drunkenly shouting, 'Geoffrey, wait, come back', until being dragged away by her poor boyfriend. Just imagine the scene, it must have been hilarious to have been there.

Probably the exact expression on Geoffrey Rush's face as he was chased by an inebriated young artist through a hoighty toighty party.


Slow clap Maria for a job well done.


Maria Vella and Wolfgang.


All artwork feature on this page by Maria Vella.
Geoffrey Rush picture from
http://images.rottentomatoes.com/

6 comments:

  1. I am blushing! Thanks for not mentioning the little indiscretion about the "extras" or lack of. I think you captured the Rush story wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - and that was so the face he made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria has to be a fellow ADHDer. Apologies for this tag, but honestly it's the ADHD which is both rebellious and creative.

    A like a gal who refuses to adhere to f**king process! Let's all baulk at society and the bewildered herd together...round of applause for Maria.

    I know what it's like to be on the outer and that's including my extended family. I am known as the black sheep and i am thankful that I am not like them.

    It's great being free from the shackles!

    Thanks Countess for a wonderful post about the joys of being unique and different. I wish that there were more Maria's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharkbite, so glad you liked it. I was hoping I would not get a nasty email telling me to take it down or else.

    I love your art and your brave move is so inspiring.

    Miss P, I really appreciate your comment. As you pointed out aving the strengh to accept difference, to be a black sheep rather than to follow the mindless flock is why I am so proud of Maria, just having the guts to do something the bewildered herd would never do, to be a risk-taker, I freaking love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh spelling error above, well I make those all the time, being too ADHD to spell check, but this one stands out. I meant to say having, not 'aving'. I am not trying to do an impression of a Cockney there. As much as I love the way they speak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stuffed up to...A like when I meant I like....ah well, the joys of ADHD.

    ReplyDelete