Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween.

.
"Where there is no imagination there is no Horror." - Arthur Conan Doyle
.
Halloween is not something we regularly participate in but there is always candy on hand for the neighbourhood kids who come around in costume.

Our old house in Tampa is in a very quiet, lovely neighbourhood and there are literally hundreds of kids in all kinds of fancy outfits out in the street.

Halloween doughnut, yum.
.
After being here for 2 years the joy of doughnuts is a recent discovery. Americans love them, and they make them so well. There is a doughnut shop on my way to the new place, it's not a chain store but a little kind of home made place and they make the best doughy treats, it's so tempting. They even have drive through, perhaps a little treat on my way home from gym? Sadly, I don't think so.

Spooky yard decorations.


We drove to our old house (technically still ours until Monday), last night for a Halloween party with some of our neighbours. We got to eat the best kebabs ever, the host is a butcher, and had a great time with all the kids coming up in costume. Someone even brought the local celebrity, Harley a Pekanese dog who likes to wear costumes. He had on a pair of 'doggles' and a little biker helmet with studs in it. He also has a little specialty dog motorbike that he actually rides around.

All animals are cuter when wearing costumes... Fact.

I was in love instantly. As much as I love big dogs and plan to own some former military German Shepherds. Lately I have met so many adorable little dogs that I wonder if the new farm will end up with a motley crue of mutts, big and small. In Beedog outfits perhaps?
.

Cuteness



From ghoulies and ghosties

And long-leggedy beasties

And things that go bump in the night,

Good Lord, deliver us!"

Scottish prayer

Halloween is such a fun filled event, a whole lot 'o' spooky fun. It was very enjoyable watching all the paranormal ghost hunter programs flooding TV for the past few days.

"Behind every man now alive stand 30 ghosts, for that is the ratio by which the dead outnumber the living."


Arthur C. Clarke, in 2001: A Space Odyssey

Whether ghosts are real or not, getting scared by hearing the stories is such an excitement. I have had a couple of experiences of my own that defy logical explanation and lead me to believe that ghosts are indeed all around us.

Beedog picture taken from beedogs.com

.

5 comments:

  1. I really love how your neighbor decorated his front yard. The US has so much in terms of decorations. It looks like you had a ball. Oh that donut does look mighty fine. I love donuts....I mean love donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never been much of a doughnut fan myself. Since living here I have visited Krispy Kreme once and Donut King once. This new place we found though is so very tempting. I had one filled with strawberry jam, and I mean filled. Not just a tiny dab in the centre. This thing was just oozing with the delicious sticky stuff after just one dainty bite. ;). I am afraid I have been lured to the dark side, the dark side of the doughnut. America makes them so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm salivating. The thought of a fried batter filled to the brim with strawberry jam is intoxicating and causing me grief -I can't have one.

    Remember that iced delights we used to get on a Sunday at mums? The little iced morsels and jam explosions from the now gone Hot Volcano Hot Bake.

    I loves me a good donut...mmmmmm Not a fan of krispy Kreme though. You would get better donut fare at small donut (non-chain) bakeries or was that fryeries? Was your jam delight iced as well??? Oh gosh I gag for an iced jam filled heavenly fried beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have a Sprinkles cup-cake store in Tampa? If so, do tell? I want every filthy detail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are heaps of cupcake stores here. Some restaurants even have cupcakes on the dessert menu. Not a fan of them much myself.

    The doughnut was super yummy, sprinkled with powdered sugar though, not iced. It left anything volcano bakery made well behind. Super moist and delicious, I am drooling on the keyboard.

    ReplyDelete