Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Hong Kong Phooey

.
I have been craving Yum Cha today. Hopefully I will find a Chinese place around here that serves dim sum.

The best Yum Cha I have ever had was in Hong Kong where I visited my dear friend Michelle and her rambunctious cat, the delightful Mr. Pickles.


View from Victoria Peak at night.

The Chinese go to such lengths to present their epicurean delights in beautiful ways. My favourite was the custard filled pastry mice. How clever and unique.



Mice pastries at a Hong Kong Yum Cha.

We also indulged in High Tea at the luxurious Peninsula Hotel, now that was a lush experience. It was the only High Tea I have ever enjoyed to the accompaniment of a live string quartet. British elegance in the middle of a thriving Chinese city, it’s pretty magical to me.



High Tea with Michelle at the Penisula Hotel
.
Hong Kong is so bright and colourful. Sampan rides and dinner at the Jumbo floating restaurant are things I hope to do again someday.


Sampan

Jumbo floating restaurant

Hong Kong is famous for the shopping and I was not disappointed. At the Jade market I haggled me some bargains! A lovely onyx and cinabar necklace and a palm sized piece of carved jade.

At the Peninsula Hotel I did a bit of shopping at the Tiffany store and even found a very unique and large piece of carved Turquoise, my birthstone, in one of the jewelery stores on site. Beautiful bargains make Hong Kong one of the best places for shopping.

.

2 comments:

  1. I am on a diet at the moment so I carve food period. I hope that you can find a local Chineses resturant which serves a decent Yum Cha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should be on a diet. Living on this mountain seems to be leading to me gaining some pounds. No Gym up here and plenty of country cooking to sample. OH NO. Will have to start going for walks around the land and taking my chances with the bears.

    ReplyDelete