Monday, January 18, 2010

Let it snow

.
Countess Chichi is a snow bunny. Well not quite, but I did visit a ski resort this afternoon and even went on a thrilling chair lift ride.

Mount Schweitzer Resort is in our in small town. In fact we can see its snow capped peak from our home. At night time we have a view of the well lit ski runs, the lights of which look like diamonds glistening against the black velvet night.
.
Ever since an unfortunate skiing incident at Lake Mountain some years ago, I have sworn off the sport. My foray into cross country skiing ended with my being wrapped around a tree in a very unusual yoga like position. Fortunately I was limber enough to untangle myself, but it was not pretty, escaping with my life but not my dignity. So embarrassing.

The view from Schweitzer is spectacular. One can see hills and valleys and it even encompasses a view of Lake Pend Oreille. There are gorgeous restaurants and Chalets and it’s all so very slick and lovely.
.

We had lunch at the Chimney Rock restaurant. Delicious Calamari for an appetizer and a crab cake sandwich for my lunch. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon.Align Left


Like a couple of fresh off the boat tourists, the Colonel and I looked out of place in our fancy attire as we joined all the skiers and snowboarders for a ride on the chair lift up to the mountain top. Instead of carrying ski poles I had my camera in hand and snapped away madly.

As the only people not wearing skis we did attract some attention. The operators of the lift stopped it for us so we could get off unscathed. Luckily they are used to other tourists walking around sans ski’s and looked after us splendidly.



The ride was terrifying for me. The Colonel has been skiing in Germany and on the Swiss Alps so he was perfectly comfortable. Meanwhile tears of fear dripped from my eyes smudging my mascara and causing me to look like a rabid raccoon.



The view on the way up was just breathtaking. Snow enrobed trees set against the backdrop of an azure blue sky was a marvelous sight to see.

.

4 comments:

  1. Absoloutely breathtaking scenery. Some of those trees look like they have been dipped in snow! How gorgeous!

    I don't think I could go up on a high ski lift without either having a panic attack with impulses to hurl myself towards the ground. I guess it's a girl thing..lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I was packing. I sat with my back pushed up against the back of the seat to the point that it hurt. I also felt the urge to flop forward and into the snow below. Weirdo's the two of us.

    It was very pretty though, won't be doing that ski lift thing again I don't think, it was way too terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had the urge to do the same! What is wrong with us?

    ReplyDelete