Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day



Today is Memorial day in the USA. It's the time the nation celebrates and remembers the men and women who died in service. The event was begun during the Civil War and has since gone on to commemorate those who served in all successive conflicts. It's the American equivalent to Anzac day, but disappointingly it lacks the ceremonies of Anzac Day. I miss the parades of the old diggers through the city streets, and the televised Dawn services. Turner Classic Movies has been playing old war movies all weekend as a homage to the troops, a fitting tribute.


.


We had a BBQ with some of The Colonel's work friends and a lovely Aussie lady I met at the Anzac Day service.
.

The Colonel's gas grill.

The Colonel is an amazing cook and did a great job with all the BBQing. He made something called chevapchichi, a Serbian ground meat concotion that is scrumptious and didn't last very long. I am quite partial to this Serbian treat and made sure I had a few on my plate. OM NOM NOM NOM NOM.


Chevapchichi.

My Tuna Dip was edaciously consumed by all, including myself. I like to use it as a sandwich spread as well as a dip. My sister in Australia really likes this recipe and I always think of her when I make it.

Tuna Dip

1 or 2 small cans of Tuna
Olive oil
2-4 oz Cream cheese with homegrown chopped garlic chives
Lemon juice.
Process in blender until smooth and creamy.

It was a really nice way to spend the day. I had a great time, but kept thinking about my family back in Australia and how much I missed having BBQ's with them. We did have a special guest of honour today, our friend's dog.

Atticus was recently adopted after spending time at the Humane Society Shelter here in Tampa. I love people who rescue dogs in need of help. I think that a true sign of a good person is to see how they treat the weak and the vulnerable. I tend to judge people as good or bad by noting whether or not they like dogs, however I hear that Hitler liked dogs, so that has thrown my theory into some confusion.


Atticus

We ended the meal with a no-bake cherry cheesecake, from a Nigella Lawson recipe. It tasted great but the presention left a lot to be desired, I forgot to grease the springform pan so the whole thing kind of stuck. While it looked like something the cat vomited up, it tasted pretty good.



Cherry Cheesecake

1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
6 tablespoons soft butter
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
10 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup heavy cream
1 jar of st Dalfour Rhapsodie de Fruits black cherry spread, or cherry conserve

.

Mix the graham cracker crumbs with the butter and sugar until the mixture coheres.

Press this mixture into an 8 inch springform pan; press a little up the sides to form a slight ridge.

Beat together the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice in a bowl until smooth.

Lightly whip the cream, and then fold it into the cream cheese mixture.

Spooon the cheesecake filling on top of the graham cracker base and smooth with a spatula. Put it in the fridge for 3 hours or overnight.

When you are ready to seve the cheesecake, unmold it by removing the sides of the springform pan and spread the black cherries over the top.






PS, I gained a kilo after the day's festivities. Bugger.






















3 comments:

  1. You're gonna get fat with those tasty treats. I see the grill, I see the food and those woggo burgers but I do not see a photo of the grumpy old c**t. Why? You know that I am desperate to see a photo and yet you purposely avoid showing me...hmmmmm NOT HAPPY JAN.
    ps. your cheesecake looks like shit. It looks like something fashion Hayley shat out. I'm sure glad it tasted yummy though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old blunderbuss was not here, so now photos sorry. It was actually a lovely group of people.

    My sad little cheesecake did look like Fashion Hayleys fecal matter I am afraid. It came out whole because she forgot to chew. :((( gross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She doesn't chew, no she swallows things whole.

    ReplyDelete