Sunday, July 19, 2009

Aussie Treats.

.
Recently a jar of Golden Syrup was spotted in the 'ethnic' food aisle at the local supermarket. What a pleasant surprise. In the past two years I have not seen Golden Syrup at all, how lovely to be able buy a jar of that rich ambrosial nectar, yet how odd that a staple of the pantry at home is now in the exotic International section.

Armed with the sticky syrup, I was eager to make something scrumptious that would remind me of home. My friend Juliet on her wonderful blog, Downunder kitchen, suggested the making of golden syrup dumplings.

A recipe was found in a Woman's Weekly Aussie Cookbook. What a handy little resource that has turned out to be. Will try the Neenish tarts soon.

Dumplings are such a simple dessert, yet so delectable. The Colonel loved it, just another example of Aussie food he has tried and is impressed by. He even loves Vegemite. I don't think I could have married someone who was not a fan of Vegemite!






Dumplings and Cocky's Joy

1 1/2 cups self-raising flour

2 tablespoons caster sugar

60g butter, melted

1 egg, lightly beaten

1/4 cup milk

1 1/3 cup water

1/3 cup golden syrup

1/2 cup soft brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

60 g butter, extra



1. Sift flour into mixing bowl. Add sugar, stir until combined. Make a well in the centre.

2. Combine butter, eggs and milk. Add mixture to dry ingredients. Using a knife, stir until just combined.

3. Combine water, syrup, sugar, juice and extra butter in a large pan. Stir over high heat until sugar has dissolved, bring to boil.

4. Carefully drop heaped tablespoonsful of the flour mixture into syrup. Reduce heat to low and cover pan. Cook for 10 minutes or until dumplings have risen and are cooked through.

Ladle the syrup over dumplings occaisionally during cooking.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds delish!! Do you crave meat pies or better still, pie floaters? Could never get my head around a pie floater.

    Countess, you could please send a message to P from me telling her to check her Facebook in box. I have sent my email and would love to infiltrate her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marywin, I think those pie floater things look revolting. I went to Harry's Cafe De Wheels in Wooloomaloo and it was meant to be the place to have one. I caught a glance at what looked like a plate of vomit (the pie floater) and that caused me to give that tourist hot spot a miss.

    All Miss P needs is your email addy and she can let you in (to the clubhouse :). It's like a secret club. Honestly though, FH can be miffed sure, but P was writing on HER blog, not going to FH's and saying it there. One should be allowed to express one's opinions on one's own page without a whole bunch of uppity folks getting their tits in a tangle. Well that's just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOps, sorry just realised you did send her your email. It's late here. Sadly, she has not sent me an invite yet. I am chomping at the bit to take a gander at the posts on her page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So who of FH devotees got their XXXXXL knickers in a twist? And where can I find all this hullabaloo? FH needs to be used as a giant doorstop (she certainly has the weight behind her).

    Lets do lunch Countess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pie floaters...I'm going to barf as I hate peas.
    Kat George is the airhead who left a note besides FH. I found it intrusive. I don't go and invade others property because I don't like what they are offering. No, I just go to my blog and sink the slipper. Typical Gen Y behaviour.

    FH always plays the victim and she baits her readers/friends. Shit she even back stabs her own husband and how he is denying her money for a dress because he doesn't like it. The girl is a serial offender. If its not asthma then its her financial problem et al. She is abusing the kind nature of people by manipulating them. Obviously this is how she survives. I couldn't handle people pitying me, where's the dignity?

    I love dumplings and those look scrummy. I make a similar caramel version or well I did before I went on my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We three should do lunch and gossip about certain tubby mental defectives and their sycophantic cronies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think countess that you should come to Australia then we can go to Perth and met Mary for a coffee and cakes. Notices how I wrote cakes and not the singular cake?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be fly to Perth for cakes after I have made a complete pig of myself at Brunetti's?

    From Idaho it will be so much nicer to fly home. From here I have to travel across the US, that takes a day of travelling, then do the long haul. From Spokane It will be much easier.

    ReplyDelete