Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Let them eat cake.

.
Ms Antoinette was really onto something, if only those filthy peasants had heeded the message instead of lopping off her pretty head!
.
I wish this was a picture of my bedroom.

While writing to a friend about The Jewish community in St.Kilda today, my mind flew to Acland Street. What a place!
.
While the Jewish businesses have moved out towards Caulfield, they have left a lasting legacy. A street lined with stores that have impressive window displays. Vast walls of glass behind which sit row upon row of brightly hued, delectable cakes. It looks like jeweled sea of dainty sugary enchantments.
.
A walk down that street is a picturesque one indeed.
.
So many happy memories of travelling to Acland Street for coffee and cake, then coming home on the tram carrying a distinctive white bag filled with sapid delights, waiting to be eaten later.
.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frog_cake

I love those frog cakes. Ohm nom nom nom nom!



Look away MeMe Roth, look away!



Some dream of streets paved with gold, others streets paved with European cakes, or streets with both. Well not really, I think that is just me.


flickr.com/photos/ilamya/2330343489/

I just gained a pound looking at this picture.

.

I love Melbourne! I love St.Kilda....For the CAKE SHOPS, not anything else less savoury the place might be famous for, that's a whole other blog entry ;).

Sadly, I did not have the foresight to visit Acland street and take some lovely pictures before I left, (my pre-blog mania era), so I have had to pimp the photos from the net. Have attributed them where I could find the source, but if anyone would like pictures removed will do so without hesitation.

2 comments:

  1. I was sort of lukewarm about Acland St because of the Lady Melbourne type poseurs. Before these types swarmed St Kilda it used to be drug and prostitution central so I avoided it (except if I was working the beat..ahahaha). I used to go to Carlisle St in Balaclava as they had excellent Jewish cake shops. Oh the pastries and oh the blintzes. It is such a pity that they have all moved on. I wonder where all the kosher cake shops have gone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. True about the poseurs, but the lure of cake helped me get that past that.

    The real kosher stuff is in Elsternwick now.

    ReplyDelete