Friday, March 5, 2010

Grammar Rules

.
Right now I'm in the middle of an editing job, a very easy one I might add thanks to the writer's splendid skills. Years ago I thought grammar was the most boring thing ever. Yes I am an English teacher so I had to deal with it, but I always tried to make my grammar classes as interesting as possible. The question remains, is grammar ever interesting?

I wonder who could ever possibly answer that question with a yes. Wait a second, something strange and perverse has happened to me, it seems I could answer quite resolutely that grammar is indeed fascinating.

What happened to my life? Long gone are the days of needing excitement and adventure. It feels like I woke up one day suddenly middle aged. Where did all these lines around my eyes come from? Why do I get these aches and pains? Why the heck am I suddenly given to fits of rapture over perfect grammar?
.
The only time I am not bothered by lapses in perfect grammar is when I see signs in Engrish. Oh those lovable foreign language speakers who do their best to translate into English. Bless their little hearts for all that effort and the sometimes spectacular results.

Those quirky little Engrish signs are just so amusing. Here are some pictures I took while visiting China.





Engrish.com is a website dedicated to the language faux-pas made by our foreign friends. It is well worth a look, it always has me in stitches.

8 comments:

  1. I love the engrish! Standardized English allows for sentences to start with conjunctives. A sign of the times so try not have too many convulsions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw...you've lost your mojo?? How can Cheech not yearn for adventure and excitement. Snap out of it woman!

    Yeah those lines around the eyes are cute. They get even cuter when you are well entrenched into your 40's. I look at my reflection in the mirror and marvel at those little c**ts. It's amazing how age affects facial gravity. First off it's the little lines around the eyes. next...droopiness where fat has gone south. Ugh!! Give me lines around the eyes any day! I cannot tolerate fat and muscle which emigrated south...ARGH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms P you look way younger than me, I envy you. All of a sudden my face looks old. I didn't even see it coming, just woke up one morning and noticed my wrinkly old face. Oh Mercy!

    I know my grammar is old fashioned but I have no choice, I was the victim of brainwashing. I just can't let it go, the convulsions get worse with age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I woke up one morning to the 'horror in the mirror' thing too. I think that I was 40 when I experienced that phenomenon as well. It is such a horrendous event but I guess every other woman before us has experienced it too.
    I am 45 on Monday and I have noticed that my skin is thinning out whilst becoming thicker in localized areas. What's a girl to do? I mean people can botox to their hearts content and have massive surgical over-hauls but in the end they still look 'mature' no matter what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good bout of plastic surgery would be a good idea for me at this point, however I am scared stiff. I'm also way to povo. I will just have to age gracefully, or in my case, very ungracefully.

    Have a wonderful birthday, please email photos of the festivities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good bout of surgery is welcomed by all! Very pricey though. A brow-lift, eyelift (upper and lower), and a facelift would set one back at least $20k!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crikey. I would need to a rob bank for that.

    ReplyDelete