Monday, March 1, 2010

Wherefore art thou Romeo?

.
The cats have discovered the window box at last. Its taken them almost 2 months but finally the little darlings have learnt that they can warm in the sun while taking in the view.

While outside today I spotted Romeo laying out in all his ginger glory. He did not seem pleased by my appearance with a camera. Notice him casting me evils?

Mycathatesyou.com

Despite slowly transforming into a crazy cat lady, I’m no cat whisperer. If only I could read his kitty thoughts. Well perhaps that would not be a fine skill to possess as I am sure Romeo’s mind would be shoutingAdd Image invectives at the crazy cat lady outside the window, waving a camera in his little face. Romeo is such a hater you see.

If looks could kill.


As we were having visitors in the late afternoon, I made Lemon Yo-Yo's for afternoon tea. They were very tasty, well the one that I had was anyway. I would have liked to sample a few more but the Colonel insisted our guests take any remaining biscuits home with them.

.

How very nice of him. He assured them that we, and by we he meant me, could make some more. Certainly, what a lovely idea it would have been had I not used the last of my custard powder to make that particular batch. Custard powder is a distinctly British/Australian item, its not sold on the shelves here. How very nice of the Colonel to give the remaining ones away, why am I not smiling?


Lemon Yo-Yo's

175 g butter
1/3 cup icing sugar, sifted
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1 1/3 cups flour
1/2 cup custard powder




Lemon filling
20 g butter, softened
2 drops lemon essence
Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
6 tbsp custard powder
1 tsp boiling water

1. Heat oven to 180C. Line two baking trays with nonstick baking paper.

2. In a bowl, beat butter, icing sugar and lemon zest together until thick and pale. Sift flour and custard power into the butter mixture and stir to combine into a dough.

3. Roll dough into 20 even-sized balls, place on prepared trays and flatten with a fork. Bake for 15 minutes or until pale golden, then remove to a wire rack to cool.

4. To make lemon filling, combine all ingredients in a bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.

5. When biscuits are cold sandwich two together with the lemon filling.
.

2 comments:

  1. I'd kill for one of them cookies. The cat is cute but the cookies are better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ONE I had was delicious. I watched the rest of the batch go, packed in a tupperware container. I almost cried.

    ReplyDelete