Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mrs Slocombe

.

I really need to control my impulse buying. Today I went out to do some errands on a much appreciated day off. I came home with the groceries, the post, and a new cat.

We already have three of them, this new acquisition makes me an official crazy cat lady. I wonder if they have a guild I can join.

I stopped by the animal shelter to volunteer my copyediting and proofreading services. I have read their newsletter and could barely keep my ruby red pencil in my pocket, I wanted to start scribbling on it immediately to correct grammatical errors.

In Tampa, I spent some time doing volunteer work at the local shelter but I had to give it up. It was just too heartbreaking for me. I wanted every dog that came in and cried when I couldn't save them all. By using my copyediting skills, I can volunteer in some small way at least.

While waiting to speak to someone regarding this, I wandered over to the cat area. I was asking for trouble. How could I not come home with a new addition to the family?

I chose a very friendly cat with a stumpy tail. A 'special' cat. Not only did her half-a-tail tug on my heartstrings, but she was the friendliest one, coming up to me for lots of attention.

She was put into a cardboard box carrier, a very unglamourous mode of transport I might add, and placed on the front seat of the Jeep, after I had moved the shopping. She was so well behaved on the way home, but she did disgrace herself I am sorry to say. I am afraid the malodorous odour she left on the front seat will remain for some time. Oh dear.

We have called her Mrs. Slocombe, in honour of my favourite character from 'Are you Being Served.' Currently, she is ensconced under the kitchen counter, refusing to pose for photographs or be interviewed. Hopefully she will soon consent to a photo shoot so you can all see what a cutie-pie she is!

.

3 comments:

  1. I can't resist the opportunity to quote Mrs. Slocombe.

    "I hope this isn't going to take long, Captain Peacock. The last time I was late, a fireman had to climb out of my bedroom window and risk his life on a narrow ledge tryin' to grab hold of my pussy."

    ReplyDelete