Sunday, August 30, 2009

Ground control to Major Tom.

.
Friday night the Space Shuttle took off from Cape Canaveral after being delayed for several days.

Such an adventure to witness something so significant. As a primary school student, a trip to the Melbourne Museum is vividly remembered where we were shown a model of the shuttle. What crazy futuristic stuff it was. The teacher told us that it would fly in our lifetimes. It was all too much and to be honest I didn't believe it could happen.

Now those things are always coming and going from Kennedy Space Centre, how fast things can happen, it quite takes one's breath away.

It was a midnight take off and from our house in Tampa we could see the brightly illuminated vessel tearing up into the night sky and off into Space. It is astounding to watch the bright little orb that is the shuttle, knowing that inside a group of people are on their way to having a very surprising adventure indeed.


Image via Flickr

With a pair of binoculars I was able to get an incredible view of the shuttle, and the fuel burning behind it. No pictures, it was 12 midnight after all, and I had scampered out the front in my nightie and fluffy slippers for the sight. The neighbours were all out too. Wish I had thought to put on a robe first. Ohhh dear.
.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I am so jealous. I have always wanted to see a shuttle launch. I would prefer a re-entry (oh matron!). I would love to see them as they come down then across at Nova Scotia. I also want to see the Northern Lights in Lapland or Iceland.

    I am besotted with space and so is Lily. We are reading a book at the moment which as fantastic photos from Hubble of nebulas in distant parts of our galaxy.

    When I was younger I remember one of the Apollo missions. I was in the car with mum and dad and I was staring at the moon. I was thinking and pining how I wanted to be an astronaut. I then realized that I needed to be male and an American. OK females can go on the shuttle into space but I want to fly the damn thing (pity I have vertigo along with no nads). Hey at least I married an American and my kids have American accents. Pity we live in Australia and that I can't see exciting space launches from my front yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much pitying in that last post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha that last captcha was knads...get it? I'm off my face on cortisone can you tell? My back pain needed a huge dose of prednisolone and hey I am 'space truckin.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ground control to Miss Patrice, looks like you took your protein pill, now put your helmet on.

    Your dreams of space adventures have come true thanks to cortisone, keep on space truckin'.

    I may get to see a distant burst of light every now and then, but you get Boston Bun, rum babas, Dolci pesche, Cadbury's, teddy bear biscuits...etc...whenever you feel like it. I'm the jealous one!

    I

    ReplyDelete